History

The Founder of Methodism, John Wesley, was born at Epworth in Lincolnshire, where his father was the Rector of the parish, in 1703.  Educated at Charterhouse and at Christ Church College in Oxford he was himself ordained in 1725. After an unsuccessful ministry of two years at Savannah in the New England colony of Georgia, he returned to England a disappointed man.  In London he joined a religious society led by some Moravians.  On 24 May 1738 he experienced what has come to be called his evangelical conversion; it gave him a new confidence and sense of mission.  In 1739 he, his younger brother Charles and a number of others left the Moravian society and established two Methodist societies, one in London and the other in Bristol.  Designed as religious societies within the Church of England, these soon spread throughout these islands and after Wesley’s death became the Methodist Church which now counts more that seventy million adherents throughout the world.

Why Methodist?  In 1727 Charles Wesley, during his second year as an undergraduate in Christ Church College, had gathered a few like-minded undergraduates to study the Bible and other Christian literature.  John, by then a Fellow of Lincoln College in the same University, became the natural leader of this group.  Their regular (or methodical) observance of the rules of the Book of Common Prayer in regard to works of piety and charity led the unsympathetic to nickname them ‘Methodists’.  As several of the group supported the Wesleys’ new venture in 1739 the transfer of the name seemed natural.

Over the next fifty years John toured all of England, much of Wales and some of Scotland.  Initially Charles shared these travels, but his less robust health prevented his doing as much.  John paid his first visit to Ireland in 1747, and was soon followed by Charles.  Their early meetings were held in rented premises in Marlborough Street and Cork Street.  John went on to pay twenty-one visits to this country, lengthening in time and extent until they covered almost all of it.

The first Methodist building in Ireland was a chapel at Whitefriar Street in Dublin, built in 1752, the site of which was later expanded to contain a day school for boys, a school for orphan girls, a widows’ almshouse, a bookroom and houses for two ministers.  The Whitefriar Street congregation moved to St Stephen’s Green in 1845, and now worships in Leeson Park.

The Early Irish Methodists

In 1747 one of John Wesley's preachers, a Welshman called Thomas Williams, came to Dublin from England, and formed what was to be the first permanent Methodist Society in Ireland. Wesley came in person in the August of the same year to meet this society. Not long after Wesley's return to England a riot broke out in Dublin, and the premises in which the Methodists were meeting was badly damaged. Wesley sent his younger brother Charles to the city to rally the frightened members.

Samuel Handy, a gentleman with an estate in Co. Westmeath, heard that one of his family had become involved with the Methodists, and hurried to Dublin to remonstrate with her. She persuaded him to meet them, and the meeting convinced him of their value. He offered his residence, Coolalough in the parish of Ardnurcher, as a base from which they might work in the Irish Midlands.

The offer was, of course, accepted, and Handy introduced the preachers to his relations and friends within a radius of about 50 km from his house. Within months a half dozen societies had been formed in the area. Later others would do something similar and Methodism spread along a chain of family connections.

The development in the Midlands was spread across many towns such as the ones in the towns of Athlone, Birr and Tullamore.

Athlone Methodist Church

Methodism in Athlone came in to being as a result of visits to the town by John Wesley in the middle of the eighteenth century. Infact, he was so popular that people rode out to greet him as he entered Athlone.

This Church, built in 1865, is situated in the heart of Athone in Northgate Street. It is close to the town bridge and Church Street, the main throughfare and shopping area. There is seating for around 120 people for worship and the vestry can accommodate about a dozen children for Sunday School.

Click on the play icon to listen to Charles Wesley's Hymn, "Let Earth and Heaven Agree"
Nike Kevin Durant 8 ext DE Nike Air Max 90 BR Nike Air Jordan Retro 13 Nero huaraches scarpe women nike air flyknit max UA Stephen Curry 3 basketbalschoenen Nike Free 5.0 Eastbay Nike Air Foamposite eins barato Nike Presto Aire Asics Gel Lyte 3 Jordan CP3.IX (9) evaluación de desempeño Nike Air Huarache Run iD Release Date Jordan Super Fly 3 nike kobe 11 Elite DE Nike Zoom Kobe 8 Sandali MBT Panda nuovo equilibrio 999 grigio Kyrie 2 Men's Basketball Shoe Nike Air Huarache Ultra-Männer Nike hyperchase sp Fragment